We have collectively over 100 years of top level litigation experience two of our partners are Senior Advocates of Nigeria we are one of less than five firms in Nigeria with two Senior Advocates.
We are always mindful of the client’s objectives – to do good business and stay out of the courtroom. We do not and will not rush a client’s matter needlessly to court. Rather through our familarisation with the client’s business, through timely and experienced advice, we make every attempt to avoid disputes and ensure that litigation is only a last resort.
This approach has proved to be invaluable to clients in that it preserves business relationships which might otherwise be severed as a result of litigation and is both time and cost effective. Should litigation however become inevitable we have a formidable team of legal practitioners who have demonstrated over the years, their ability to conduct cases at the highest levels of our judicial system.
We have collectively over 100 years of top level litigation experience two of our partners are Senior Advocates of Nigeria we are one of less than five firms in Nigeria with two Senior Advocates. We proceed with litigation with the full support of the firm’s considerable resources and notable talent of its professional staff.
Our litigation experience covers proceedings in both trial and appellate courts. Further, in addition to our firm acting on behalf of our clients, our Messrs E. O. Sofunde and M. D. Belgore have frequently been instructed to lead other counsel in the conduct of litigation.
Litigation remains what the firm is best known for, our recent experience includes;
- Successfully defending an election petition on behalf of the Governor of one of the largest states in Nigeria.
- Successfully Acting on behalf of the Independent National Electoral Commission in a suit instituted to challenge the presidential elections of 2003.
- Recently engaged as lead counsel for a major Tobacco Company in a suit instituted by Attorneys-General of various States of the Federation.
- Acting as lead Counsel in litigation between various states of the Federation and the Federal Government over the assessment and collection of V.A.T.
- Engaged as Counsel for a top International accounting firm involved in litigation disputes between member firms.
- Successfully defending various oil spill litigation instituted against a leader in the oil industry.
- Coordinating litigation on behalf of a multinational corporation against the Federal Inland Revenue Service, leading to a refund of over US$6,000,000, and establishing the principle of RECHARGES in Nigeria
- Successfully conducting litigation on behalf of a major telecoms Company against the Industry Regulator
- Obtaining a US$9,000,000 judgment against a state government on behalf of a client
- We have acted in a number of high profile criminal trials and appeals arising thereof, most recently successfully defending a Gubernatorial aspirant in a case of stealing and breach of Official Secrets Law instituted against him.